Thursday, July 29, 2010

Abandoned Dog

There has been a wandering dog around my neighbourhood.

He is black/white, owns a bushy tail that curls upwards and medium size. I still cant find a matching breed  to The Dog from google, but he is definitely not a stray. Sadly, I have not gotten close enough to get a picture. And actually, I am just using HE generally. I have no idea whether it is a male or a female.

There is no LOST DOG notice around the neighbourhood. So our guess is that he has been abandoned. Fuck that heartless dog owner.

I have spotted him for about a week now, and everyday he is still trotting around during the dark hours. Each day, I pray that he meets kind souls in his journey and that he be safe.

I first heard his howls last Thursday night (I think). He sounded as though he was wailing. I peeped out of my window and tried to find the source of the howls. It took me a long while for the eyes to spot something moving across the grass field right below. But it was too late for me to go down..

I was awoken by more howlings in the wee hours of Friday morning. Again, it was too dark for me to go down...maybe I'm just being the typical nonchalent Singaporean who waits for things to happen on its own...

For the whole week, I spotted him on and off every time I peeped out of the window..but it was always during the nightfall to early morning. So I never had the chance to complete what the heart felt I should do - to go look for him.

However, I made point to carry a packet of dry food and some water whenever I am walking Murphy, in case I bump into The Dog downstairs. But I never did. No such luck. He was always only right across the field when I peep out of my window.

FINALLY yesterday, I decided to do something about it. While bringing Murphy down at 930pm, I peeped out of the window again and saw The Dog!! Met a neighbour in the lift who told me she has also heard of it and has been looking out as well. It was really heartwarming to know that there are other animal lovers out there. And it gave an extra boost to completing my mission.

So with her and her brother, we gathered another dog owner and her dog, and went in search for The Dog. We went in the direction where I saw him walking towards. It leads to the small park in our neighbourhood, but we still couldnt find him..

We decided to split ways to hunt for him. Me with Murphy and the other dog owner (I only know her as December's mum) with December. The other neighbour went to grab her quick dinner with her bro.

Found nothing.

Murphy & I went back to our side of the grass field....

..................

And I squinted across again and saw the dog!!!

So, with my laziest dog breed in tow, I dragged and pulled Murphy across the grass field again to the dog!

This time round, I got near. And managed to catch a closer look at him. He looked sick and had dark spots all over the body. And he was grazing the grass as though looking for food. The heart just wringed in pain.

He seems to be afraid of human beings and ran away when he saw us coming. Also ran away when another human being got near while he was trying to flee from me.

You know. Dogs normally dont just run away from fellow dogs. I have seen how Murphy excitedly chase after doggy scent and dog traces. Furthermore, Murphy was much smaller that he was. So I'm guessing he must have been very badly treated for the past week (and God knows what happened to him prior to that).

I chased him silently for about 3 blocks and a huge carpark before I could get him to stop and for me to put down the food and water for him.

He stood in the shadows and watched as I knelt down in the brightly lit void deck to put his meal down. He knew.  But he seems to be very wary of human beings. So I summoned for him to come and proceeded to walked away so he could eat in peace.

Maybe he didnt understand my gesture. Because he also walked away. I thought he must be hiding in some dark corners or under some cars while waiting for the coast to be clear. So I brought Murphy home and decided to go down later to check if he has eaten the food.

He DIDNT.

I hope it's because he is full from the food that other kind souls out there fed him.

N said I should just get the SPCA people to help. I guess that's the only way now.

Just in case he is really a lost dog, can you guys please look around for any LOST DOG notices around your neighbourhood? Let me know if any fits my description.

Thank you. And God, please bless the dog.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails