Friday, May 06, 2011

::Nigelrene Loft:: CEILING

Never imagined interior designing can be as such. There are so many tiny details to look into! And I do have quite a bit of personal requirements here and there that cannot be summarised by a particular style type. I am so glad we are doing this by ourselves :) Nigelrene Loft has quite a bit of an odd-shaped ceiling for ceiling planning. The perimeters run from an entryway, to the dining and to the living room. There is literally no clear cut way to cut up the ceiling into its respective sections.
To make way for a ceiling fan, we will need to 'declutter' the ceiling by not having any lights mounted within the same space. And we kinda agreed that we dont like ceiling fans that come with lights attached at the bottom.

So the options are to either have an 1) L-box, 2) inverted L-box, or 3) false ceilings
HDB rule states that there must be a 2.4m clearance between the ceiling and the (raised) ground. So we have a 6-inch ceiling space to play around with.

1) L-BOX
 Boxed up light-points that run around the perimeter of the room. Allow downlights. You can choose how you want the L-box to be carved out - with ripple designs or
A simple L-box
The L-box will allow ample real ceiling space for mounting a fan.
Most safety-cautious people would prefer to mount the ceiling fans to real ceiling for better stability, and a lower possibility of having heads chopped off. lol

2) INVERTED L-BOX
Essentially the same as L-box. Just that it allows mood lights. Florescent tubes can be placed between the ceiling and the box - cove lights. Can opt for a different color from downlights to create a different mood.
The con is that it traps dust.
For odd-shaped perimeters like what we have, it would be difficult to line the L-box around a so-called perimeter around the living room.

So there are bigger panels of L-boxes that can be built above ground areas not belonging to the living room. This way, you can segregate out a living area.
But compartmentalizing the ceiling like that makes me feel claustrophobic. I love space. And that applies to my ceiling space too. Compartmentalising no doubt increase the cosy feel but cutting up the area above seemingly reduce the space down below. And I cant breathe. I wonder if anyone knows what I mean...

3) FALSE CEILING
Like what it's name suggests, a fake ceiling below the real ceiling.
What I need is SPACE. Pure SPACE! With no fancy designer cut-in, or funky grooves anywhere. Just simply space and a lot of lights. A false ceiling would give me that. I wonder if these are called star lights, whether they will be easy to change, whether they ll be too hot for our living room and whether we will still be able to mount our ceiling fan sturdily..
But I ve found answers to my last query :) Just need to get a longer rod for the fan, and pay a little more labour fee for the false ceiling :)

N keeps telling me to leave everything to the contractor and that he would have ideas for us. But I am sure when it comes to designs, nothing beats having visuals. And at least now I have a direction with the ceiling...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails