Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Learning new responsibilities

The (dis)advantages of being in the good age - The reality that is unknown to a kid's aspiration to be grown up.

The aspirations of financial independence, breaking free of curfews, late nights fun, exciting (aka dangerous to parents) hobbies and a more permanent break from studying! What we didnt know was the growing responsibilities, diminishing hours, automatically upgraded status when the people around u start to pop and the multiple things to learn (both at work and in the household!).

I ve been realising all of that responsibility part too soon when I decided to become a dog mama.  Got to make sure he gets fed and walked on time TWICE daily. Often, I have to sacrifice some sort of gatherings or turn up late cos there's no one else to help me fulfil the 2 most important chores for taking care of this baby. I also soon realised I cant fit everything and meet everyone as much as I used to or would like to!
But I am not quite complaining about this set of new responsibilities because I ve got quite a darling of a furball baby. And he keeps me grounded enough to make me adapt a fair bit to the future reponsibilities that are going to come. 

What I cant accept at the moment is the upgraded status to that of an Aunty O_O"
Who are we trying to kid when we insist that kids still call us jiejie?! Maybe in the initial few years of our adulthood, the kids from friends still can call us that...we can still live in denial. But it becomes a totally different story when someone in your family starts to pop..

You know you are something different when you wake up at 7am to this on weekends..
I was naturally known as Aunty Shuling to him for a while until N's mum realised I m too young to be called an AUNTY. She tried to switch to Jiejie Shuling last weekend.
YAY! Can still live in denial for another year before I legally get married to his Uncle Nigel and get an auto upgrade again. Holy Christ!

BUT!!! A conversation I had with the cuz brought me back to Earth last night. *WHO WAS I KIDDING?!?!* We were discussing the different pains of popping in different ways. She is going to pop THIS very week! OMG!
So naturally, I will be an aunty again, soon.. :S

Luckily someone's sharing the same status as me.. :) So it doesnt feel as bad..
Here, Uncle Nigel is trying to teach his nephew how to be a musician..
They played "You Are My Sunshine"! That's no ordinary song okay?! It's THE song that I learnt can pacify this baby! :) THE song that shuts him up while Uncle N was trying to drive through the din created at the backseats. THE song that makes him drink his milk silently. THE.SONG.

I am gonna pack this song + some evil tricks I learnt from a mama-collic to that wedding which we are going to attend with N's parents and the baby. It's coming. In December. I hope we get out of the dinner alive. 

And so, I have had my fair share of real baby parenting these few months. Doing quite badly though... He didnt finish his cereal on Sat morning... And we didnt know what to do :p

Also to my ultimate shock and horror, I have been finding joy in shopping for household products!!!
Luckily they got this garlic chopper in hot pink. Neutralises the Aunty association with this kinda products :) heh

I am quite conscientious when it comes to food-learning.
I used the chopper that very weekend!

Because I know I got to learn from somewhere, I get verrrry inspired by what I eat in restaurants...

And I have previously learnt how to identify a salted egg

So I went to the NTUC consecutively for 3 days to hunt these down! (These beans are somehow very seasonal. NTUC doesnt stock up everyday, just in case you might want to know)

Still didnt quite make it to restaurant standards. BAH! How do they make the salted yolk glue on to the french beans????

I think I have been asking N alot these days whether he thinks I have become an Aunty.. :S When the man doesnt answer you.....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails