Thursday, April 08, 2010

Loanshark Experience

I seriously resolved to finish up my report within the morning. But WTF. HSBC just called to CHASE (Again???!!!) for the meagre S$85 bucks that I owed them from the last statement.

I admit it was an overlook on my part. I slotted in the silver card (Citi) instead of the gold card (HSBC) into the AXS feeder when I made payment for that S$85. You would agree with me. It certainly isnt a costly mistake. So I couldnt justify the intensive debt hounding methods employed by the bank.

I only realised the blunder when I saw the late charge of S$50!!! and interest charge of S$3.14 on the S$85 that I did not pay the previous month. Obviously, I had to call up to ask for a waiver! I wasnt feeling pissed then, cos it was my fault that I defaulted on the payment. The bank had EVERY right to charge me a finance charge. So with a light heart, I called up.

The first thing that irked me slightly was the painfully long session I had to go through with the automated answering machine. They had just revamped and improved their call centre and invited customers to have a pleasurable experience as they take us through further into the call ie to leisurely enjoy listening to the retardedly slow robot when all you want to do is to talk to some living thing and get her to waive the charges.

*take note that when you punch the wrong number, you go back to the beginning of the ride again, and try your luck again* I spent much time listening to their slow and deliberate enunciation of my existing card balance for E.V.E.R.Y HSBC card that I have (that's at least 3) upon punching the number for "credit card"

Somehow, by trial and error, I survived the whole robot process and eventually managed to press my way until I heard the magic words "for finance charges waiver, please press X". I pressed. and the kind robot replied "Thank you. We will be sending you an sms to confirm if the request is successful" *I can picture the HSBC robot smiling when it said that*

That was on Thursday, 1 April 2010. The bill bearing the late finance charge is only due on 13th April (and it is only S$285). I happily thought I could wait for the positive sms reply before paying my bill.

But what happens these few days really disgusts and pissed me off BIG TIME!!!

7 April 934am - received an sms like this "HSBC: Your card account remains unpaid. Pls arrange for immediate payment. Kindly ignore if already paid." - I was major pissed off. Cos I was expecting a positive SMS reply after my communique with Mr Robot.

7 April evening - (by then, i have already been a good citizen/debtor and paid the full sum after office hours) received a letter from HSBC (we open our mailbox DAILY). A subtle threat. I was reminded that there exists a credit bureau who tracks my credibility and who therefore may affect my future borrowing powers. - Shouldnt they allow a reasonable reaction time for recipients of the letter they sent out 2 days ago before they send out the SMS that morning????!!!!

8 April 1014am - received a call from HSBC chasing for the payment AGAIN!?

WHAT THE FUCK HSBC!

I owe you ALOT of MONEY AH?????!!!!

For goodness sake, it is ONLY S$85!!!! Do you have to hound me like a loanshark?!!!

2nd thing tt pissed me off was the lousy customer service. I told the lady who called me that I already paid after 5pm yesterday, that I had asked for a waiver and if she is able to process it. She told me the waiver normally takes a week to process. So I kindly informed her that I talked to the robot on the 1st (which is exactly ONE week ago). So she told me to call up the customer service. WTF. On top of being a bloody loan shark you cant even get your customer services right.

I am going cancel that bloody card right this moment.

FUCK!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails