Friday, July 10, 2009

"Being Eldest"

Over yesterday's luncheon, we found out a common trait among most of the collics within the company - we are all the eldest!

while it may just be a puuuuuurrrrre coincidence, i have this faintest impression that the eldest within the family carries more desirable qualities than the younger one when it comes to employability.

it includes holding more responsibilities. Daily tasks are more often done by the da ge or da jie. I remember vividly how when I was growing up with my cousins (2 yrs and 3 years apart respectively) in my grandma's house, the eldest cousin who happens to be the only MALE among us, had to do all the sweeping! :)

in my teenage till early 20-ish years of growing up with my own younger siblings, I also found myself doing more household chores than them. My mum doesnt draw out a schedule of chores for us. Neither does she insist tt I do. I just naturally picked up the broom more often then the sisters.

also, if we talk in the context of a pack with a leader within, the leader always sees it as a need to set a good example for its followers. They hunt, and teach the pack how to hunt. Or they hunt, and let the pack enjoy the fruits of their labor. The eldest now become the leader of the pack and its behaviour is subconsciously shaped to positively influence the pack. More often than not, the spoilt younger ones within the pack is so used to enjoying the fruits of the leader's labor and they become lazy. So the leader continues to hunt. If the pack refuses to hunt, the leader hunts for them.

It is this common trait of responsibility and ability to withstand hardship within the eldest that enhances their ability to survive in the wild, and makes them a better employee choice than the spoilt younger one who is so used to being served. :)

I do see a trend within my circle of friends.

But of cos I dont speak for everybody. Because I know there are some exceptions! :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails