Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A lesson - Dont be apprehensive

Just paid $12 for these.
It is probably no big deal but I feel kinda relieved that I walked back to return the $ to the old man who was selling tissue at the bridge.  

Must have misheard something cos he said yi kuai san mao (S$1.30) while holding up the unopened tube of tissues. I dug out 2 $1 coins and told him to keep the change. It did appear a little weird to me, so I think I repeated the price twice to him and both times, he nodded.

So off I went, feeling all so good about it...until I realised that he must have said yi kuai san bao (S$1 for 3 packets). Brushed it off since I had already walked off halfway and was already nearing the office. And lunchtime was already overstretched. I will go back the next day.

But I was feeling bad. That $2 more could easily be his dinner money. So I texted N and I said a silent prayer. N urged me to go return the $ immediately. I told him I would go back the next day to return the $.  I told him the lunch crowd was over - "What if I go there and he has already left?" And halfway through our texts, it began to rain...so I got a little more apprehensive about going back - "It has already begun to rain. He should have left the bridge already..."

He pushed me a little and told me to JUST GO ahead, and if he is not there, at least I have tried. At least I have done SOMETHING.

I DID. I walked back. And when I reached, he had already packed up and was starting to walk away. I was just in time to pass him his deserved earnings.

Now I am glad I made that timely decision to walk back. Had I been another minute late, I might have missed him. And that $ might just make his day end better. :)

What about you? Have you ever experienced such aprehensions before? Do you always think about all sorts of possibilities which held you back on your actions? If you see an injured animal on the road, will you stop your car or think that maybe someone else will stop and help?

DON'T spend too much time pondering. JUST DO IT.  

I havent made any new year resolutions. But for this year, I resolve to buy tissues more consistently from people who deserve the help.

Tissue counter: 18

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails