Friday, April 09, 2010

Our Story - The Proposal

Still brings a smile to my lips everytime I think about it :) It happened in May 2009. We have built such a good friendship with the Miyashitas by then, and they were returning to Japan in June 2009. We wanted to bring them on a tour around SEA as much as we could.

So everything was perfectly normal when we decided to book the tickets to Batam :)

*you gave me everything when you gave your heart to me*

As usual, we bought some wine from the Duty Free. Every day is celebration day when we are out with the Japs :)

Spent the 1st day at some shopping mall. Mari and I settled down in a nail parlour to do our manis and pedis while the men went for their massage. It was very cheap. So I opted for some acrylic extensions and 3D art :) (didnt know this was going to be the perfect finger setting for the ring that going to arrive!)
N suggested getting some wine glasses (telltale #1 - that was going to be our celebration glasses after the proposal) for our new home since things were cheap there. I thought it was perfectly normal cos we need wine glasses next time when we host people in our house :)
So he did some homework in the mall while I was doing my nails and brought me to choose 4 different colors for the glasses :)

*so you could give me wings to fly, catch me if I fall*


All of us booked a spa massage in the hotel for the 2nd night except him. Nothing unusual. He hates massages. (telltale #2 - actually he wanted time to get the logistics going and maybe to practise his piano piece and speech! :p)
On the 2nd day morning, he had an unusual tummy ache though. It started from the hotel room and continued into the breakfast floor. So he left me inside the restaurant while he went to take a poop. When he was back, he told me he talked to the room service manager (telltale #3 - actually he went to ask him to buy flowers) to get some towel/shower/carpet changed (i vaguely remember he was already pointing to some tinnnny flaws inside our room. It's sooo insignificant, I cant even remember now :p)
When evening came, and we went down for our massages, Mari and Atsu were already in their massage room. Mari popped out of her room to say hi (weirdly), wrapped only in a towel (telltale #4 - the flowers arrived and were sent to the Miyashita's room, so she had to pass him their access card)
After the massage, we went out for dinner or something. And when we stepped back into the lobby, Atsushi made a comment about the wonderful band in hotel bar. So when we stepped into the lift, he said "I want to sit in the bar and drink beer and listen to music. Shwu Ling, will you go??" Of course I said YES!!! The trip's all about them remember? (telltale #5 - Atsu made extra effort to ask us to join... that was going to be the proposal venue)
We freshened up and went down. When the Miyashitas came down, they were holding their JVC camcorder. They said "We brought along to this trip but had no chance to use it. So we brought it down. We will use it here." Perfectly normal! They need to capture as many vids as possible before they return to homeland for good! (telltale #6 - that camcorder was going to record down my proposal!)

N has always been a musician and always been drawn to grand pianos. So there was one in the bar and the band was taking a breather. He said he wanted to play the piano and went to ask for permission. Also verrrry normal! cos he has played on several grands in public before... the Miyashitas whipped out their camcorder that verrrry instant and offered to take down a vid! N wanted me to go sit beside him cos he "shy". I din want to, but the Miyashitas urged me on. So ok lor...

I'm not very into songs and lyrics and I didnt know what he was singing anyway. But I thought I heard "flowers wrapped in fancy paper and the ring on my fingers....."

He finished the whole piece. And kept asking the Miyashitas if the camera was still rolling. We got up and he asked me to go and drink water (from our table). *dont ask me what's with the drinking water...he just had to turn my attention away for a split second*

When I turned around the next moment.....

*there's nothing in the world I need when I have you here beside me.. i got my flowers wrapped in fancy paper, my man on his knees and the ring around my fingers*


Burst into joyous tears and of course said YES! I'd been waiting ever since we got our flat in April! But just didnt think it'd come that soon!

Turned out the trip had been planned for me instead :) and my man had been scouring for the perfect ring with his collics and Mari for the past weeks! But they were good secret keepers :) Charmaine almost died withholding the truth while we were out for dinner one day and we bumped into YY. YY asked about my flat and whether N proposed already or not, and I showed her my 10 bare fingers. Char was sitting right across, painfully knowing and keeping the secret :p

We went back to our room for a quieter celebration, with what else but our very own wine and wine glasses :) and our best couple friends :)

N says it's very easy to propose when u have a stupid gf :p all the above telltale signs only made sense to me on hindsight :) :)

I hope you'd have as much joy reading it as I had penning it :) I want to pen down such lovely moments for old age remembrance :)

I ve put the videostream of our proposal song right below this blog :) Your Love :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails